I love one pot dinners. Having less dishes to wash afterwards is always a plus in my book. This fresh yet hearty dinner satisfies without filling the sink up with dishes, and it layers multiple flavors in perfect harmony. It’s definitely become one of our favorite meals.
This dish combines chicken, fresh asparagus, parmesan, and lemon to create the perfect spring-inspired dish. You can throw in other veggies like spinach, peas, green beans, or just about anything else you can imagine – it’s great no matter what.
Ingredients: (makes 4-5 servings – great for leftovers)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts sliced into small pieces
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/4 cups orzo
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus, chopped
- Zest and juice from 1 large lemon
- 2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Use a large pan and drizzle with olive oil. Over medium-low heat, mince two cloves of garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add chicken, salt, and pepper. Cook chicken all the way through, until browned evenly. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add a bit more olive oil and mince the other two cloves of garlic. Cook once again until fragrant, then add shallot. Cook until transparent, then add orzo. Mix, then pour in chicken broth and bring to a light boil.
- Turn heat down to low and cover pan, cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add asparagus (and any other veggies you’d like that require steaming), re-cover, and cook for about 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add lemon juice, zest, and parmesan cheese (reserving a bit of the zest and cheese for garnish), mix, and cook on low just enough to melt the cheese (about 1 minute). Serve, garnish with a bit of lemon zest and parmesan, and enjoy!