I’ll be honest: I had never tried falafel before making this meal one night. Nope, never. I’d definitely had chances to – there were numerous shops that offered it near my college campus in Boston, I’ve seen it repeatedly at food truck festivals, and yet – always passed it up for some reason. I can’t believe I was missing out on something so simple yet so delicious all this time. Definitely feeling the regret.
A friend of mine posted on Instagram a while ago that Trader Joe’s makes incredible falafel mix and I decided to go for it and try it out – as if I needed another excuse to go to Trader Joe’s. I followed the directions on the box, and I truly think it came out great. It’s fresh, super flavorful, authentic, and easy to make. Throw the falafel in a warm pita with fresh veggies then load it up with a quick homemade tzatziki sauce, and you’ve got yourself one insanely filling and tasty meal.
For the wraps:
- 1 1/4 cups Trader Joe’s falafel mix
- 3/4 cup water
- Oil for frying
- Fresh veggies: diced tomato, sliced red onion, sliced cucumber, and spinach
For the tzatziki:
- 8 oz. plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup shredded/grated cucumber
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- To make the falafel, follow the directions on the box of mix. All you do is combine the mix with water, then cover loosely and let it sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Once the dough is just about set, pour your oil into a deep pan – you want at least an inch deep. Heat over medium heat – you want it to come to about 300 degrees F. While you’re waiting for it to heat up, you prep your veggies.
- Use a small scoop to spoon the batter into your hands, and roll it into a ball about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter, then drop carefully into the oil. Repeat until pan is full or you’ve used all your batter. Let each side fry for a few minutes before carefully flipping. When done, place on a paper towel to drain grease and cool for 1 minute.
- While the falafel fries, mix the tzatziki sauce ingredients in a small bowl until well blended, and heat up pita (either in the microwave or oven on low heat).
- To assemble, take warm pita and put 3-4 falafel in, line with veggies, and dress with tzatziki sauce. Eat while hot and enjoy!