Prepare for the best tacos you’ve ever had in your life. Seriously. I’m not usually one to brag, but this is my all-time-favorite taco recipe and it’s downright amazing. I make it for most of the people who come to visit us or who stay for dinner, and have never had a person not completely love their meal.
These tacos are adapted from Chelsea’s Messy Apron – they deserve all the credit for creating this taco masterpiece. I’ve changed the recipe a bit from the original, but the fundamentals are still there. It all starts with chicken, sautéd and then cooked down in a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil. Top it off with a delightfully colorful mango slaw and then kick it up a notch with some sriracha mayo (you can call it aioli if you feel like being fancy). Un. Be. Lieveable.
These do take some time to make, but are quite doable on a weeknight. They also make great leftovers!
For the tacos:
- 1-1.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (varies based on how many you’re cooking for)
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Corn tortillas
For the slaw:
- 2-3 mangos, cut into small cubes
- 2-3 cups of coleslaw mix without the dressing
- 1/2 of a red onion, minced
- Bunch of cilantro (up to your taste), finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons lime juice
For the mayo:
- 2/3 cup mayo
- 4 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Cut the chicken into small pieces, and sauté in a large frying pan drizzled with olive oil, salt, and pepper over medium-low heat. While cooking, prepare the slaw and mayo.
- Mix all of the slaw ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix the mayo, sriracha, and 1 teaspoon lime juice together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once chicken is cooked through, add soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir and simmer until liquid reduces a bit, then add a heaping spoonful of the sriracha mayo.
- Heat corn tortillas over medium-low heat until cooked on both sides.
- Assemble your tacos! I’ve found it’s easier to taco the tortilla, spread a little bit of the mayo on it first, then add on the chicken and slaw. There’s no right or wrong way – it’ll be delicious and beautiful no matter what. Drizzle with some extra lime juice if you’d like – Enjoy!