Looking for something simple, tangy, and awesome on everything? Pickled red onions are your answer! Anyone can make them at home with just a few simple ingredients in the knick of time, then add them to sandwiches, tacos, sausages, or with pretty much anything you can think of. The best part is that they keep in the fridge for several weeks so you can make a big batch and keep enjoying them for a while 🙂
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper or whole peppercorns
- 1 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 medium to large sized red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- Put sugar, salt, pepper, and vinegar in a small saucepan. Stir until sugar and salt are mostly dissolved, then heat over medium heat until the mixture comes to a low boil.
- While the mixture is heating up, thinly slice the onion and put it in a heat-safe bowl with the cloves of garlic peeled but still whole.
- Once the vinegar mixture is boiling, pour it into the bowl over the onions and garlic. Make sure all pieces are covered by the liquid (press it down with a spoon if you need to) and let it cool to room temperature.
- To store, pour onions, garlic, and brine mixture into a glass jar and seal tightly, then store in your fridge. These can be eaten immediately once they’ve cooled off.