Fresh berries are hands down my favorite part about summer. While raspberries are my #1, I love all kinds of berries and making fresh, light desserts with them (and also eating them by the handful). Colton and I went berry picking one weekend, and picked and ate our way through the strawberry and raspberry crops. We just barely caught the tail end of strawberry season and once we brought home our haul, I just had to make strawberry shortcake.
These biscuits are light and fluffy, made with just a few basic ingredients. Slice them in half and stuff them full of juicy strawberry slices (mixed with a bit of sugar and lemon) and topped with a heaping scoop of freshly made whipped cream. Ah. May. Zing.
Ingredients (makes 4 shortcakes)
For the strawberries:
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, washed and hulled (use a straw!)
- 2 tablespoons sugar – granulated or confectioner’s both work great
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the biscuits:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- First, prep your strawberries. Once they’ve been washed and hulled (use a drinking straw to poke through the bottom of the berry up to the top, makes hulling very easy!), slice each berry and put them in a small bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice and sugar, mix, then store in the fridge while you make the biscuits and whipped cream.
- Next, preheat your oven to 400ºF while you mix all biscuit ingredients in a medium bowl. They should form a sticky batter borderlining on dough. Scoop and shape into four large rounds with your hands, and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 18 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- While your biscuits bake and cool, make your whipped cream! Pour cream, sugar, and vanilla into a mixing bowl and use a mixer (hand or stand) to beat on medium-high until peaks form (about 5 minutes). Keep in fridge until ready to serve.
- Assemble your cakes by slicing each biscuit in half horizontally, and fill with strawberries and whipped cream. Enjoy!